Friday, June 24, 2011

SHORT STORY: THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN...

  Her lips were the sweetest. Her voice was like the angels’. I remember how she would sneak out late at night just to see me. We would go to our usual meeting place, the beach. She would lie down in my arms, exchanging sweet words and kisses. We watched the night sky, made wishes if ever we caught a shooting star in sight and talk about our dreams that we promised to achieve together. She was the first love that I ever had.

  Every night that we had were the warmest as we embrace each other. Tonight, however, is different. It was cold. Tears were flooding down our eyes. The stars didn’t gave the same glow and the beach, not like the usual romantic place.

  “I’m sorry Drew. I don’t want to hurt you anymore and I just can’t hold on to this feeling any longer.” Jasmine, my girl, covering her face, wiping every tears that are falling. “You’ve done your best and gave almost everything to me. It seems like you’re way to good enough for me. I guess you deserve someone else. Someone who’s a lot better than me”, she continued, sobbingreally loud.

  Those were the last words that I heard from her since then. And I, knowing nothing could ever bring her back, have just spent many dark nights crying, getting drunk. My friends blame her for what was happening to me, but I never did the same. I saw her with a new guy and I know she was really happy with him. So I guess it’s my fault that I lost her. I may have lack something. I know it was my fault then.

  Three months have passed and here I am, inside a bar doing the usual thing. Everything seems blurry and I was half drunk. I do not even know what’s happening, all I know is that I’m walking along this narrow aisle.

 "Excuse me! But you're blocking my way!" a cranky lady told me. It was dark so dark that I have not instantly realized that she’s a lady.

 "So? Get out! It's not yours anyway!" I yelled and was about to push her when she gave me a hard punch. I fell on the floor and was badly hurt. I did nothing in return though. She pissed me a lot yet I know she’s a lady so I did nothing in return.

  Aside from that, I remembered nothing at all that night.

  The next day’s a bad day for me. I had a hangover. My head aches a lot yet I pushed myself to get up and be ready for school.

  I am getting my stuffs inside my locker when I saw this pretty lady that caught my attention. She was short, approximately, standing 5 foot. Her hair was as black as the night and her eyes sparkle like the stars. Her lips were cherry red and her skin, fair. I know I’ve seen her before, but I can’t remember when and where. I guess she was the angel in my dream last night.

“What are you looking at, huh?” the lady asked. I do not know what to say. It felt like I was under her spell.

“Oh, nothing. Uh, have we met before? Because you look really familiar.” I asked her. I was too shy and I can’t even remember the words that I’ve said. She looked at me deeply, staring from the head down to my toe.

  “Yes, I guess we’ve met before. You’re the crazy drunk guy at the bar!”

  Now I know why she’s familiar and this is what happened on the second time that we met. She was really cranky and hard to be-friend with. I had a hard time talking to her, even knowing her name. Her attitude is unlike the girls at the school. She was just a normal girl and was quite boyish. She doesn’t flirt nor care about how she looks. That’s Sophia, an ordinary lady who doesn’t mind how people would react to her actions. The lady who does nothing but always catches my attention.

  Time passes by and I started to get to know her. She’s a black belter at Taekwondo. No wonder she punched me really well that night. She’s independent and always does things her way. Every time that we have a chance to be together, we always argue. She wanted to be always right and I just agree to everything she says. Guess she had made me fall really hard. She was really different.

  Year had passed and I confessed my hidden love. I never thought that she felt the same. We’ve been dating for three years and I could say that she wasn’t really that hard to be with. She’s very sweet and caring. She could be the girl that any man wants to have,She told me that she was just really cautious with the people around that’s why she acted like that.

  Our relationship had gone through lots of ups and downs. We do not always have that perfect moment and I could say shit happens sometimes. At times, we still argue and what we had tonight was really bad.

 “How come you’re always right, Sophia! Have I not done anything good!” I yelled. I was really mad and I can’t control the tone of my voice.

 “It seemed like you’re sick and tired of my attitude. Why don’t you just leave me then?” Sophia was sobbing. I rarely see her cry. She’s a very strong person and seeing her like that breaks my heart. I love her. I now I really, really love her.

 “Yes, I am very sick of your attitude! But that’s what you are. And I loved you for who you are Sophia” I grabbed her hand and pulled her towards me. I gave her a tight hug. She hugged me tighter. We were both angry yet by her hug, I could still feel how much she loves me. I have never felt this before. I have never felt being loved like this.

  “I’m sorry Drew”

   “It’s okay my dear. I am sorry for what I have done too”  I kissed her hand and knelt down. I grabbed something from my pocket. I saw more tears coming from her eyes as I showed her a box. It was a tiny red box with a golden ribbon.
  “Sophia, we’ve been together for a long time. What you’ve made me felt is amazing and I just don’t want to lose you anymore. I love you. I love you with all my heart. Sophia, my love, will you marry me?”

  She took a deep breath, wiped the tears from her eyes and looked at me. It took a minute or two for silence. She smiled and it was the most beautiful thing that I have ever seen. What came after is a moment that I could never forget, I have heard the sweetest words that I long to hear from her.

 “I will. I will Drew. I am more than willing to marry you my dear. I love you.”

   A year had passed and here I am, preparing for our big day. I now this is is the happiest day in my life and today, I will be the luckiest man on Earth. I was about to enter the church when I heard someone calling my name. I turned to look who’s calling. It was Jasmine.

“Hi, I just came to tell you that I’m happy for you. Best wishes! It’s a good thing that you’re really happy now. After all, you deserve that.”

 I do not know what to say. I do not even know why I felt this way. It seemed like my heart had gone heavy. I just took a deep breath and smiled.

“Thank you Jasmine.”

  She smiled but then a tear fell from her eyes. She turned away and I pulled her hand. What happened next was a mistake. A biggest regret that I should have not made. I just kissed her lips and the feeling’s unexplainable.

“Sorry Jasmine. I am sorry.”

“You did nothing wrong. It was my fault. I should have not been here anyway. I have to go.”

 With that, she turned away and what followed is the most unforgettable and most painful moment that had ever happened.

 “You’re lady’s the luckiest. Good luck to both of you.” She walked away.

  “Yes, she is. But that should have been... you”



 **

inspired by Justin Bieber's "That should be me"

No comments:

Post a Comment